1. Bridesmaids is hilarious. Sure, some of it is lowest-common-denominator scatological humour, but it’s still funny.
2. This is not a movie about perfect twentysomethings getting married. Haven’t we seen enough of those anyway? You’ll see real laugh lines and curvy figures. Sure, the trope of bridesmaids wearing ugly dresses is played for yuks on a regular basis, but this film does it better. Or funnier, anyway.
3. Melissa McCarthy. Sookie from Gilmore Girls steals the picture from the lead Kristen Wiig. I nearly had a Depends moment at the end of the movie owing to one of her scenes.
4. The men. Jon Hamm aka Don Draper being a cad, Chris O’Dowd being a darling.
5. The women. You’ll love the strong, quirky cast. It includes a longtime fave of mine, Maya Rudolph, and a few faces I don’t recognize but found well-cast all the same. (Though it probably would have been as strong a movie with fewer characters.) I’d love to see the gag reel from this film. In fact, when it comes out on DVD, I think I will check for one. Because I’m definitely watching Bridesmaids again.